Most of the western world has heard of Google, but here’s some interesting facts you may not know about the Search Engine giant!
- Google was initially going to be called ‘Googol’ but an accidental spelling mistake led to the name we know all know and love, ‘Google’ and was founded September 4th 1998.
- When Google added their own spell check with their ‘Did you mean . . ‘ feature, their traffic doubled. It also showcased that the workers at Google had a sense of humour with numerous memes being created from ‘Did you mean’ suggestions.
- The very first ‘Google Doodle’ (the updated graphics on the logo) was used in 1998 and was of the Burning Man when the founders went to the Burning Man festival and used the image as a way of advising everyone the office was closed.
- Google Tweeted for the first time in 2009 with a cryptic binary tweet “I’m 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 01111001 00001010.” This translated to “‘I’m feeling lucky.”
- Over 1 million computers are used to handle the 1 billion plus search requests per day handled by Google.